Paris, IL. (ECWd) –
When the pending Edgar County jail closure was announced, we reported it (here).
Since that article, the County has been searching for a different insurance company that is willing to insure all or part of the jail, or in the alternative, they are searching for a place to house the county’s inmates.
There are only 8 weeks left for a decision and the jail will close.
But there is more to the story on the insurance company’s decision to not insure the jail and operations within the building;
There were 9 conditions identified (read the documents below or click here) by a jail inspector.
Here is what was found/recommended:
- Complete re-write of policy – training on the new policy, and all jail practices must model the policy (meaning – work according to the written policy, otherwise they effectively is no policy)
- Avoid strip searches for minor crimes/traffic offenses
- Personnel who dispense medication should be trained to do so, and all medications should be vetted by medical personnel. There should be an on-call doctor to consult with on these issues and others.
- A mental health professional should be contracted with for regular periodical rounds of the jail and to consult with suicidal subjects
- An officer assigned as PREA coordinator to make sure inmates are informed of their rights under PREA, which reduces liability in cases of alleged sexual misconduct within the jail (remember this?)
- Use of Force should be immediately documents, reviewed, and a determination made of whether it was warranted or not, in writing
- Training must be consistent and conducted on a regular basis. All officers should be certified correctional officers with appropriate training, including part-time officers
- Internal Affairs – discipline investigations should not be conducted by the Sheriff because there would be no supervisor to review the findings
- Jail conditions – it is old and in need of upgrades. It was dirty and had trash and liquid on the ground
Perry MasonPosted at 07:37h, 02 October
Scary stuff. What’s / what’s not actually been going on in there?
AaronPosted at 11:39h, 02 October
It is amazing how government repeatedly fails in what it (government) requires of a private business or individual. More tyranny