LINCOLN-WAY, IL. (ECWd) -
On September 13, 2017, a Federal Grand Jury returned a six-count True Bill of Indictment against former Lincoln-Way School District Superintendent Lawrence Wyllie.
We, the Edgar County Watchdogs, with help from local citizens, exposed these misdeeds more than 18 months ago: Click here to read about them: https://edgarcountywatchdogs.com/?s=Wyllie
- COUNT ONE:
- Alleges that Wyllie devised and participated in a scheme to defraud, and conceal, material facts related to district funds and Bonds.
- fraudulently misused school funds and misrepresented the district's true financial condition for his own benefit (his contract related partially to the school's financial performance).
- Used bond funds for the school's operating expenses.
- Used bond funds for payroll.
- An understatement of expenditures and misuse of bond funds totaled at least $7,000,000 between March 2010 and October 2012.
- Misappropriated at least $16,500 for "retirement" that was not part of his contract.
- Misappropriated over $14,000 for the unused vacation that was not part of his contract.
- Misused at least $80,000 of school district funds for his own personal benefit.
- Wire transferred $403,391 without approval which was part of the misrepresentation of school financial condition
- COUNT TWO:
- Alleges that Wyllie wire transferred $23,969.82 (of bond funds) to pay for general operating expenses
- COUNT THREE:
- Alleges Wyllie wire transferred $941.50 (of bond funds) to pay for general operating services
- COUNT FOUR:
- Alleges Wyllie wire transferred $540 (of bond funds) to pay for general operating expenses of SuperDog
- COUNT FIVE:
- Alleges Wyllie transferred $19,588 (of bond funds) as part of defendant's misappropriation of school district funds
- COUNT SIX:
- Alleges Wyllie embezzled, stole, obtained by fraud, and converted for his own use, approximately $30,878 for retirement stipend and unused vacation days
Department of Justice Press Release: