CLARK CO., IL. (ECWd) -
They want you to pay your taxes, but fail to report their own income.
So goes the Clark County Park District and its Board of Commissioners who cannot seem to keep their own employees violating the law.
Long story short:
- Park Director Charity Murphy decides to let one of her friends paint the main office building
- Says everything was donated and won't cost the park district anything
- We find out later the donated paint was expired and could not be used on a regular job site
- After considerable pressure, Murphy admits she gave the painters 2 free campsites for their work (so much for not costing anything)
- After several months, Murphy now admits she gave them 2 free campsites for 2 years and free boat slip rental (so much for not costing anything) - which is an actual cost to the park district of $8450.00
- Our initial article after learning of this painting arrangement (here) included the Director's Report, which clearly states all of the paint and labor were donated. How can "donations" lead to a cost of $8450.00 to the park district?
- Painters gave Park District a letter claiming a donation of $2623.00 in material and $10,280.00 in labor
- Campsites were given to the individuals - no 1099s were issued by the park district as required by law
- Other employees, including the Park Director, Charity Murphy, have received free campsites - not reflected on their W2s
- Painters did not appear to adjust their "donations" after receipt of campsites and boat slip rentals
- None of this was expressly permitted at a public meeting and recorded in the meeting minutes as required by state law
- (70 ILCS 1205/4-6)
(from Ch. 105, par. 4-6)
No member of the board of any park district, nor any person, whether in the employ of said board or otherwise, shall have power to create any debt, obligation, claim or liability, for or on account of said park district, or the monies or property of the same, except with the express authority of said board conferred at a meeting thereof and duly recorded in a record of its proceedings.
- (70 ILCS 1205/4-6)
The Park District is required to file and issue certain forms related to financial obligations, receipts, and payments. They have failed to report all compensation received by their employees and also compensation paid (thru gifts) to "contractors" who supposedly "donated" their work.
Please consider a donation to The Edgar County Watchdogs.